History of Education Department Gilgit-Baltistan

  • 1947: At the time of independence there were 80 primary and 3 middle schools
  • 1947-75: The Administration of Education Department was looked after by the respective Political Agent/ Deputy Commissioner of the Agency /District.
  • 1976-78: Directorate of Education was established under the Federal Ministry of Education Islamabad.
  • 1979: Transferred to KA & NA Division Islamabad.
  • 1994: Elevated as full-fledged Department at G-B Level
  • 2009: Under the new Gilgit-Baltistan Self Governance and empowerment Order, powers delegated to new political setup.